Monday, November 13, 2023

SYMETAB.

Pronounced Semi-tab! 

Rewind to 1994, Prep 2 (i.e. Grade 7) in school, class International 2 E. Probably my favourite class during my years at El Alsson School, my 2nd home and my all-time love. Two new kids joined school that year, Basem Magdy and Ahmed Tarek Abdelrahman, aka Farf. Together, they joined forces with us, myself and the others, who were already part of the gang (shella). We decided to have a name for our gang - SYMETAB!

S: Sherif Zaki (yours truly)

Y: Yousef Fakhry

M: Mohamed Aboushady and Mohamed Gabr

E: Eshtakoza (The nickname of Mohamed Napoleon Abdelrehim)

T: Taqui Abdin

A: Ayman Sadek and Ahmed Tarek

B: Basem Magdy

We were inseparable during school, despite Ayman joining the National class and Yousef + Gabr moving to International A, we were still always together during assembly and break times. Some of us are still very close to date and some have disappeared into their own worlds and lost touch with others. We may be on different continents and poles apart but those years between 94-97 will always stand out as some of the best years of our lives as those moments we experienced together, have helped shape our childhood. Memories made, journeys taken, promises broken and friendships moulded.

Yesterday I went to school, this time, as an alumni, to speak with young students about my career and give them some advice on the future and what to expect if they want to have a career in comms. I was inspired by their enthusiasm and attitude. The boys kept asking me about the money - i.e. if a career in comms pays well. How have the times changed?! I don't recall I was thinking about how much money I would make back in the '90s; those innocent years when all I had in mind was to go to school and unite with SYMETAB and play football under the building with a tennis ball.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Real Time Web Analytics