Sunday, February 03, 2013

Walking Contradiction.

Lately, I am working from a different location due to the civil unrest taking place near my office. I can't complain much because I am right behind my house. It's cool, the people are cool, and to be able to see the sun brimming from the window is indescribable. For the past nine months I have been working from a sun-less office. No windows whatsoever, and I feel like a rat in a cage. I never knew how much having the sun or being able to see the people from the windows, or the grey buildings and paved streets would be of greater value to my mood, my creativity and inspiration.

Today, and the days before, I stood by that window near me and looked at the people walking in different directions, the cars going both ways, men walking with cigarettes and you can see that behind that face is a man with million problems at home, veiled women carrying bags and you know they are counting the minutes to go home and remove that head cover and rest, children - homeless and coveted by the face of life with no direction but only an intent to waste time. 

I don't know where Egypt is heading, but being able to look at people from aloft gives me mixed feelings. Most of the people are clearly in debt and can't find new sources of income, they are drained with responsibilities and crammed with never-ending lists, from their bosses, wives/husbands, children, families and financial institutions that want their money, plus the unstoppable interest. 

Two days ago, Hazem's (one of my best friends) nephew died in a random shooting that took place near the presidential palace. A kid who had a future upon him will no longer accomplish any of that due to our incompetence. Even when you decide to unfollow TV, stop reading the papers reporting crazy crimes and rape incidents, you still get hit by the saddening news and facts in this country.

I pray for my country, and the people in my country. I wish I can wake up and find peace, see little kids flying their kites, catch hope and not only feel it but taste how delicious a four letter word can give me the shelter I need.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Real Time Web Analytics