Tuesday, September 12, 2023

All the Young Dudes!

I am always carried away and moved by great music. Great music doesn't necessarily mean The Smashing Pumpkins. It could be Pink Floyd, Take That, Bon Jovi, Metallica - basically whatever makes sense to me. We are all different and we react differently to things. Some songs will always move me whenever I listen to them. Some cliche songs like Summer of '69 by Bryan Adams or Hotel California by The Eagles will feel 'right' whenever I listen to them. Others like Purple Rain by Prince, Fake Plastic Trees by Radiohead or '74-'75 by The Connells will remind me of a perfect childhood, winter nights and videogames.  

All the Young Dudes by David Bowie, which is originally by Mott The Hoople, is such a beautiful tune that makes me wonder about life, my friends, what happened to them, where the time went, how we ended up like this, what is next for us, etc.?

There are so many of my childhood friends whom I thought would become rockstars - not in the musical showbiz sense - but they had a larger-than-life aura, they were popular, admirable and widely loved during our youth. They disappeared! Literally! Like no one knows anything about them. Whether they have mellowed down, leading very quiet lives, are depressed, not interested or in other words, lost interest. Others on the other hand, those who led normal lives (by normal I mean they were not the boys who girls fought hard to date back then or the girls who everyone wanted to be with, but just normal kids) have become massive iconic figures now in our current lives.

I tried so hard in the past two decades to analyse that trend. Sometimes in my posts here, or just in my head; in conversations with myself, or with my close friends during our small gatherings, but I am still unable to crack the code. I don't think there is a code to break. I just think people eventually end up doing two things: 1) They become the people they always wanted to be but never had the freedom/choice to when they were kids. 2) They become the people the society or the community or the environment they live in want them to be. 

I had an idea years ago of creating a show (back then it was in the form of a one-on-one interview - but now it would be probably a podcast) where I host those unknowns to the world we live in today and talk about their experience, the paths they chose and the choices they made. Everyone knows the stars of today, but very few know the kings and queens of yesterday. 

I will call my show - All the Young Dudes.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Real Time Web Analytics